Monday, September 27, 2010

11th Hour

11th Hour is about .1 miles before the two twin boulders in the river, near mile maker 20, drive slow its easy to miss! The pullout will be on the left and the trail head starts on the right side of the road about 50 yards up the canyon from the parking area. I would have to rate 11th hour an 8 in summer and a 9 in winter. 11th Hour changes a lot between winter and summer. In the summer you can see all the boulders that have fallen between the two cliff faces on either side, there is water but it can easily be avoided by staying on the rocks. As you keep going up you will come across your first wood latter to help you, its old, old but safe. After getting up the first latter it's like the beginning again but a little steeper but smaller boulders, you will be on the for about 20 yards then come across a second, more sketch latter, if you are not tall enough you will need some help. When you get up the second latter you will be surrounded on all four sides with a small waterfall on your left, and two ways to get up. One way is to climb up on the left of the waterfall, or go to the right where there are more "step-like" features in the rock and dirt. When you get up here your are at the top and the trail will split. If you go left on the trail it will take you to a viewpoint of the road and river, and if you go right you will hike up 11th hour gultch. If you hike up the gulch all the way if will take you some place near Iron creek. In the winter a lot of the boulders are covered up and you need no be careful you stay on the path or else you might end up falling in a hole. also in the winter the whole cliff on the right side is covered in ice, it is a very popular place for ice climbers in the winter. Over all I like being there in winter because it just looks cooler. I would recomend this hike to anyone who enjoys a little climb mixed in with their hike.

5 comments:

  1. This place is very scenic. I have been there and the view is just wonderful. I bet it is very pretty this time of year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an amazing area to go to. I will definitely like to go there in the winter time with some friends! Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Eleventh Hour numerous times, and everytime I go I end up finding some sweet new place. I like that there aren't necessarily any set trails to climb, it's just kind of free roam. I'd say my favorite spot is the cliff that hangs right above the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I went there yesterday Ben, it is very pretty.
    Sermeana- make sure you dress warm =] and you better invite me!
    MarzBarz- word on the free roam part, and yea its nice to just sit there and relax listening to the crisp sound of spearfish creek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds beautiful. I haven't done a lot of hiking in the area because I'm never really sure where to go. I'll look forward to reading about more suggestions.

    ReplyDelete